Monday, July 09, 2012

And we're back in the room...

3 months. Gone just like that. And with that I have a baby daughter - gorgeous, cute, rocks my world - all of that. Paternity leave gave me a lot of time to think (amongst changing dirty nappies, and the slow realisation that sleeping in will NEVER happen again) about discipleship. Not just think, but pray read, wrestle, discuss it. I realised this - I'm not being discipled. How on earth can I preach discipleship when I'm not practising it? I've also realised that it's only because I have been discipled in the past, that's why it's such a loss to me that it's not going on in my life right now. And I'm not talking about small groups/cell groups/Bible studies, things like that. I'm speaking of someone, who looks more like Jesus, pouring their life into mine, so that I can go on to do the same to others. It's taken me a whole year in a (lay) pastor's role to see that this is the reason why our corps is full of people who come to be entertained on a Sunday and yet leave it to the faithful few (strike a chord anyone) to do the stuff. And when I say 'few' I mean four of us.... Oh yes we're that close to imploding... And so gone are the days where I was secretly hoping to pastor a megachurch or megacorps or whatever... hoping to grow big ministries and the like. Now I choose the simple but difficult path of trying to be a disciple of Jesus in the real biblical sense of discipling others myself so that they will in turn do the same. Thank you Mike Breen. You've gone and done it now...

No comments: