Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A bigger, better canvas

As I continue to read more and more about the Jewish roots of Torah, faith, scripture, hope and Jesus I’m getting more and more excited… Something is happening, like I’m realising that there’s this bigger story out there, a bigger canvas than the one I thought had been painted.

There are so many little things that are changing the way I think about stuff. Take the word ‘Torah’ for example. Most English translations of this word would be ‘Law’..

It immediately conjures up words like : cold, enforced, boring, dry…

What a tragedy when you realise that the word Torah comes from the Hebrew verb ‘yarah’ which means ‘to shoot’ such as shooting an arrow at a target. So Torah is teaching that “hits the mark”. It is more about guidance, instruction, nurture…Its dynamic, its fluid, it takes a group of people who are half useless and points them in a better direction. The Way.

So when Jesus turns up and says that 'I dont come to abolish the Torah but to fulfill it' It strikes me that the direction that Torah has been pointing was to something much better than itself. Someone who can complete the guidance, and nurture of Torah itself. Jesus the Messiah. 'I am the Way.'

I want to be a follwer of the The Way.

No comments: