Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Gandhi - Searching for God





I had the great fortune to watch the film 'Gandhi' today. What a man! I've heard bits and bobs about him all through my life, but its something entirely different to watch and actual movie based on his life. An incredible man, on a search for God spreading an amazing message throughout his native India and beyond. This is definitely one man I hope to shake the hand of when creation is restored.

Here is a sample of his nonviolence teaching

'The concept of nonviolence (ahimsa) and nonresistance has a long history in Indian religious thought and has had many revivals in Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and Christian contexts. Gandhi explains his philosophy and way of life in his autobiography The Story of My Experiments with Truth. He was quoted with saying:

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".
"There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for".
In applying these principles, Gandhi did not balk from taking them to their most logical extremes. In 1940, when invasion of the British Isles by Nazi Germany looked imminent, Gandhi offered the following advice to the British people (Non-Violence in Peace and War):

"I would like you to lay down the arms you have as being useless for saving you or humanity. You will invite Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini to take what they want of the countries you call your possessions.... If these gentlemen choose to occupy your homes, you will vacate them. If they do not give you free passage out, you will allow yourselves, man, woman, and child, to be slaughtered, but you will refuse to owe allegiance to them".' (Taken from wikipedia)

This last sentence particularly spoke to me as the reader might have guessed from reading earlier posts. I always wondered about what a country should do under attack from another. Israel did it too under the rule of pagan nations, particularly the Romans. All tyranny comes to and end. This is loving one's enemy and not returning evil with evil.


I'm off to the Kairos centre tomorrow for a Timothy2 training day. I'm not expecting much as I kind of know what will be happening, as this time last year I was doing the exact same thing. So we'll see how it all goes. It will be very strange to be in the Timothy atmosphere and not actually be among the 1st year Tims.

No comments: